Steve Ryfle is an author, journalist, and documentary film producer. He has written about film, books, and culture for the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Tribune, Criterion Current, Cineaste, Virginia Quarterly Review, In These Times, Bright Lights Film Journal, Turner Classic Movies, PopMatters, POV, Time Out New York, and other print and online publications.
Ishiro Honda: A Life in Film, From Godzilla to Kurosawa (Wesleyan University Press, 2017). Co-author, with Ed Godziszewski; with Yuuko Honda-Yun; preface by Martin Scorsese. Available from Amazon.com.
Godzilla Vs. The World: The Politics of Japan’s Disaster Monster (University of Texas Press). Forthcoming.
Desegregating Hollywood: How the Civil Rights Movement Changed Film and Television. Forthcoming.
Japan’s Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of “The Big G” (ECW). Available from Amazon.com.
Grants and Awards
Visiting Scholar, University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries, 2019.
Visiting Research Fellow, Indiana University Black Film Center/Archive, 2018. Read the announcement.
Guest Lectures and Talks
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Cinematheque
- Indiana University Cinema
- UCLA Billy Wilder Theater
- Augusta University
- Japan Society New York
- Japanese American National Museum
- American Cinematheque
- Los Angeles Arts Society/Frida Cinema
- Los Angeles Public Libraries
- Los Angeles County Public Libraries
Miracle On 42nd Street (D. Alice Elliott; Welcome Change Productions/Honest Engine Films, 2017). Co-writer, with Joal Ryan.
- WINNER: Best Documentary Feature, 2020 New York Emmy Awards.
- NOW STREAMING on Amazon Prime, Google Play, and other services.
- Available on DVD from Amazon.com.
- Broadcast premiere on PBS affiliate WNET-NY on November 28, 2018.
- Official selection of Franklin International Independent Film Festival; Newport Beach Film Festival; Syracuse International Film Festival; Santa Barbara International Film Festival; DOC NYC documentary festival.
- View the trailer.
- Learn more about Miracle on 42nd Street.
Bringing Godzilla Down to Size (D. Norman England; Sony Wonder/Classic Media/Happy Enterprises, 2008). Co-producer, co-writer, with Ed Godziszewski.
- Official selection of American Cinematheque 8th Annual Festival of Fantasy, Horror, and Science Fiction, Los Angeles, California; 13th Annual Fantasia Film Festival, Montreal, Quebec
- Available from Amazon.com as a special feature on the “Rodan/War of the Gargantuas” DVD set from Classic Media.
- View the trailer.
- Read about Bringing Godzilla Down to Size in the Hollywood Reporter.
Blu-Ray and DVD Projects
Steve has produced and/or contributed audio commentaries and special features to numerous DVD and Blu-Ray discs. See the list.
- Desegregating Hollywood – Interview with Director-Writer John Ridley
- Accused – Cincinatti Enquirer, “Artistic Aftershocks” (Dec. 2019)
- Kaiju Transmissions (2017)
- Steve interviewed on National Public Radio’s “Fresh Air With Terry Gross”
- Offramp – KPCC-FM, Los Angeles, CA (2008)
- Mystic & Severe – CKCU-FM, Toronto, Ontario (Jan. 2020)